The Vienna Experience...continued








Our next two days in Vienna were fabulous. Here´s some of the stuff we saw & did...

- toured the Staatsoper (state opera house)
- St. Stephens cathedral, where we toured the catacombs and saw piles and piles of human remains...this was Terri´s favorite part of Vienna, actually. I´m not joking. I know, she´s weird.
- the Schönbrunn Palace (where the Hapsburgs spent their summers...sometime we´ll get some pictures up from those gardens...oh my goodness...)
- toured the most important parts of the Hofburg (Imperial Palace), from whence the Hapsburgs ruled for over 6 centuries: the Imperial Apartments (all their lavish rooms), the Silver Collection (OK, I thought my MOM´s china collection was something...room upon room of silver, porcelain and other precious dinner settings from all over the world), the Sisi Musuem (named after Emperor Franz Joseph´s beloved wife, the Empress Elisabeth), which was a bit over-the-top, but I guess she was a pretty mysterious, melancholic individual.
- got a picnic dinner of sesame melba toast, ham and gouda, and yogurt and went to the Volksgarten to read books on a park bench

The weather was absolutely perfect, and Vienna is a gorgeous city. Would love to go back there again sometime.

This morning we rode the train for four hours to Munich, where we picked up a rental car and drove into the Alps. We are now based in the beautiful Tyrolean town of Reutte. This evening we walked to a lovely restaurant called the Goldene Rose. Terri had wienerschnitzel and I had trout cutlets with almond butter sauce. Probably in my top 3 meals of the trip.

(HINT: keep reading for MORE about our favorite meals of the Euro Expedition.) Nelson´s thoughts: "Oh my. Do people really care about what our favorite meals were?" Terri´s thought-reply: "Mm. probably not, but we´ll do it anyway. No one´s forcing anyone to read this blog."

So there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm. Sounds cool. I will add Vienna to the list of places I will visit when I tour Europe.

And I will add Gouda to the list of foods that I will eat in Europe.

Robin said...

Oh my! I had let my hard core summer studying get in the way of reading your blog for a week or two and am overwhelmed by all that you have seen and done in that time. Smart choice with the luggage. I can't say I feel too badly, my goodness, you are in Europe and forced to buy all new clothes...I'm practically writhing with envy! Do continue posting about the food. With all the Something-Burgs and St. Whoever's Cathedrals, its nice to have something of your trip that's a tad easier on the brain to remember...like the pig's knuckle. I'll never look at Nelson the same way. Continue to enjoy yourselves; I can't wait to see more pics!